- National FACC Network
- Newsletter Subscription
- FACC-NY Podcast
J-1 Candidate Eligibility
J-1 & YE | December 18, 2020
The J-1 visa program encourages cultural exchange by allowing exchange visitors to come to the United States for up to 12 months as Interns or for up to 18 months as Trainees to participate in full time, paid, practical training programs at eligible FACC member companies. These programs are extremely beneficial for both candidates and host companies and serve to further diplomatic ties between the U.S. and the world. To confirm your eligibility, please review the eligible requirements below:
J-1 Intern: Exchange Visitors who are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution outside the United States OR have graduated from such an institution within the past 12 months. Intern programs are limited to 12 months.
J-1 Trainee: Exchange Visitors who have a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary institution outside the United States AND at least one year of relevant full-time work experience outside the United States. Trainee program are limited to 18 months. Please find the next steps to launch your visa application on our “How to Apply” page!
To begin a J-1 visa application, the FACC must first confirm that the Host Company meets the J-1 Exchange Visitor eligibility requirements. You will find below a list of the most important eligibility requirements for new host companies:
- Intern/Trainee Program must be paid at least the local prevailing minimum wage;
- Intern/Trainee Program must be on a full-time basis (32 – 40 hours per week);
- Intern/Trainee Program is a bona-fide training program and does not constitute work; the candidate has to be supervised at all times by the designated responsible supervisor;
- Hosting company must agree to pay the FACC J-1 administrative fees;
- Hosting Company must have valid FACC membership to their local chapter (minimum level required, Active Level, individual membership);
- To host an Intern, host company needs to have at least 3 full-time employees (NB: does not include EVs, interns, contractors…) at the site of activity for each Exchange Visitor in which at least 2 have to be American citizens or green card holders.
- To host a Trainee, host company needs to have at least 5 full-time employees (NB: does not include EVs, interns, contractors…) at the site of activity for each Exchange Visitor in which at least 2 have to be American citizens or green card holders.
Please find the next steps to launch your visa application on our “How to Apply” page!