Presidential Proclamation- FAQs for Exchange Visitors

June 24, 2020

Last updated June 24, 2020

  1. If I have a valid J-1 visa but am currently outside the United States, can I re-enter?
    • If a J-1 visa holder is currently outside the U.S., he or she will be allowed to re-enter the United States. Keep in mind that certain travel restrictions are still in effect (for the Schengen Zone, China, Brazil, etc.).
  2. What if I have an application in progress with the FACC-NY?
    • The FACC-NY will not be processing any new or existing J-1 visa applications at this time. Your account manager will contact you and the host company with details.
  3. I am a current J-1 visa holder in the U.S. Does this mean that I cannot travel outside the U.S. for vacation?
    • If you currently have a valid J-1 visa, you can leave the United States and return as long as your visa and DS-2019 are still valid. However, we do not recommend leaving the U.S. at this time. Please keep in mind that travel restrictions are still in effect.
  4. I am a current J-1 in the U.S., but my spouse/dependent is still abroad. Will he/she be able to join me on a J-2 visa?
    • The new proclamation affects all new J visas, including J-2 visas. The dependent will not be able to obtain a new J-2 visa while J visas are suspended.
  5. I have an interview scheduled with the FACC-NY or a rescheduled appointment with the U.S. Embassy. Should I cancel?
    • The FACC-NY will contact Exchange Visitor candidates regarding all scheduled English interviews. We anticipate that embassies and consulates will contact you regarding appointments. 
  6. I am a VIE who was scheduled to begin my program in the U.S. Can I begin my VIE program in France until I can come to the U.S.?
    • All questions concerning the VIE program should be directed to Business France.
  7. I already paid the visa fees to make my Embassy appointment. Will I have to pay the fees again?
    • A nonimmigrant visa fee is valid and may be used for a visa application in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment. Please note that visa fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. If you wish to apply for a visa through another Embassy or Consulate, you will be required to pay a new MRV fee and complete a new Form DS-160.
  8. The Proclamation is in effect until December 31, 2020. Can I apply for a program start in January 2021?
    • At this time, we are not processing any new applications. The situation will be reassessed as developments warrant.