FAQs for Exchange Visitors
- Do you have any update on Schengen travel restrictions?
No, unfortunately. The travel restrictions from the Schengen area countries (Presidential Proclamation 9993) are still in effect and do not have a set expiration date. We will make an announcement once we learn more.
- I heard about the recent extension of Presidential Proclamation 10052 on nonimmigrant visa suspensions. Does this affect me?
Maybe. If you already have a valid visa, then this extension will not affect you. If you do not yet have a visa, then you will need to wait until the proclamation is lifted to apply for a visa.
Please refer to this announcement for more information.
What happens when President-elect Biden is sworn in on January 20, 2021? Will all travel restrictions and visa suspensions be automatically lifted?
Not automatically. Once the President-elect is sworn in, he would have to take a proactive action to change the current travel restrictions and visa suspensions.
- I have left the United States for the holidays and am returning soon. Is there anything I should know?
Yes. Please do the following:
- Inform your FACC Account Manager about your travel plans, if you have not already. If you do not know who your Account Manager is, please email email@example.com.
- If you do not have a travel validation signature on your DS-2019 (bottom right corner on first page), please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a Letter of Support. In this email, please include your confirmed travel dates and plans (e.g., flight from Paris to Mexico City on January 22nd).
- Take any necessary COVID-19 precautions for travel to and from your 1) home country, 2) transit country (if applicable) and 3) the United States.
- What does the Letter of Support do?
The Letter of Support is a signed, printable letter from the FACC which confirms your program validity and explains why your DS-2019 has not been signed for international travel.
It is not meant to replace the travel validation signature, but rather, support your case when requesting re-entry into the United States at customs.
A Letter of Support does not guarantee entry into the United States. Please keep in mind that your entry is up to the sole discretion of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- I am in the United States and have extended my program, but now the visa in my passport has expired. What should I do?
If you have extended your program, you should have a new DS-2019 reflecting the extended program dates. You can travel freely within the United States during this time, even if your visa is expired. (Please take note of any COVID-related travel guidelines).
The FACC is still discouraging international travel. If you can avoid it, please do not leave the United States. The travel restrictions and the J-1 visa suspension are both still in effect.
- I am outside the United States and my visa is about to expire or has already expired. What do I do?
If you are outside the United States and your visa is about to expire, we strongly recommend that you return as soon as you can. Keep in mind that you may need to spend 14+ days in a non-restricted country in order to enter the United States.
If you are outside the United States and your visa has already expired, please contact your FACC Account Manager or email@example.com.
- Will Business France pay for flights or mandatory quarantine arrangements?
No. Business France will not cover any exceptional travel or quarantine arrangements; Your travel over the holiday period is at your own risk and expense.
- Does my insurance cover the cost of COVID-19 tests?
Maybe. Be sure to check with your insurance provider what services they cover.
For non-V.I.E.s: Envisage (Seven Corners) does not cover COVID-19 tests (unless ordered by a physician) or quarantine arrangements. Read more here.
For any additional questions about insurance, please reach out directly to your provider.
Please remember the Non-Employment Statement that both you and your Host Company signed at the beginning of your program indicating that you would not seek employment for at least one year following the completion of your J-1 program.
If you have any questions that are not addressed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.