Presidential Proclamation Expired, EVP Program Still Suspended
On March 31, 2021, Presidential Proclamation 10052 (suspending entry of various non-resident alien visa categories) expired. This proclamation, originally issued in June 2020 and extended in January 2021, suspended the issuance of certain nonimmigrant visa categories, including the J-1 intern and trainee.
While this is terrific news, it is unfortunately only one step towards resuming the Exchange Visitor Program. Until the Schengen travel restrictions are lifted, embassies in these countries will not resume routine visa services. J-1 visa applicants are still not able to get visa appointments because they cannot travel to the United States directly from the restricted countries.
- Presidential Proclamation 10052 took effect June 24, 2020 and expired March 31, 2021.
- The H-1B, H-2B, L and J visa categories were concerned (included J-1 Interns and Trainees).
- Presidential Proclamation 10143, issued January 25, 2021, suspends entry of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry. This proclamation replaced PP 9993 issued on March 11, 2020, by the previous administration.
Given that the travel restrictions are still in place, we are maintaining our suspension of the processing of new, incoming J-1 Exchange Visitor requests until:
1. Presidential Proclamation 10143 on travel restrictions from the Schengen area countries is lifted.
2. U.S. embassies and consulates resume routine visa services for J-1 visas.
We will continue to keep our entire community updated as the situation evolves.
For Exchange Visitors: please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions here.
For over 45 years the FACC has been a trusted sponsor, accredited and mandated by the Department of State to administer the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. As a sponsor, we remain committed to the health, safety, and wellbeing of program participants, now and in the future. Our team will continue to provide program oversight and customer service to Exchange Visitors, Host Companies and members of the Chamber.